Northeast Minnesota Virtual Industry Tour Classroom Lesson Plan
Manufacturing: What’s So Cool About Manufacturing?
GRADE LEVEL: 3-5
ACADEMIC SUBJECT(S) MOST APPROPRIATE FOR ACTIVITY: General
PBS Learning Media
TIME TO COMPLETE: 1 Class Period
Many food products, toys, and materials are made through the process of manufacturing. Take a look at the history of manufacturing and conduct some research of your own! Through your research, learn about the history of manufacturing and develop your skills using technology. Think critically about the importance of manufacturing to our town/city locally.
- Watch “What’s So Cool About Manufacturing” videos that demonstrate history and manufacturing
- Conduct research of their own about the history of manufacturing
- Use technology to expand their research
- Compare and contrast how items were created in the past vs how they are created in today’s society.
- Journal their discoveries and lingering questions
Provided by a joint venture between JET, True North Stars Perkins Consortium, IRRRB, and Story North Productions to be used with the Northeast Minnesota Virtual Industry Tour Project, Manufacturing Sector.